An Event to Remember: 2019 Fall BBQ & Chili Cook Off Recap
The OCWS Chili Cook Off & BBQ was held on September 21 at The Courtyard under clear skies and comfortable fall temperatures. It was a sold out event with 28 teams competing in the Chili Cook Off and over 200 members and guests attending. Everyone enjoyed the 28 amazing and unique homemade chilis, grilled foods prepared by the Cooks Caucus, and the wonderful music provided by the Three 2 Sevens band.
I would like to thank the 28 teams that entered the Chili competition for all their hard work, creative decorations, and amazing chili . . . simply chili-licious! Listed below are the competition winners by category and name of chili:
- Best Traditional Chili with beans—Rick & Linda Kerfott—“Rodrigo Cowboy Chili”
- Best Traditional Chili without beans—Diane Froot & Rebecca Frazier—“Un Named”
- Best Vegetarian Chili—Amiee & Steve Halligan—“Chewie’s 3 Chile Chili”
- Best Chili Using Wine—Jane Goodnight & Gail Hirstein—“Winerful Chili”
- Best Chili by a New Member—Ed & Linda Robb—“Ed’s Dragon Breath Chili”
- Best Table Presentation—Dean & Robyn Strom—“Kettle Chili”
- People’s Choice—Diane Froot & Rebecca Frazier—“Un Named”
I would like to especially thank the six students from the Orange Coast College Culinary Art Academy who agreed to be judges for the competition and helped make it such a success.
Of course, none of our events could take place without the hard work and support of our members who volunteered to help plan, coordinate the many details, and work the day of the event. To all of them who helped “make it happen,” a very sincere and heartfelt thank you!
– Terry McLean, Event Chair