2022 Syrah/Petite Sirah Mini-Tasting Wrap Up
The March Mini-Tasting featured six Syrahs, three from California and one each from France, Australia, and Chile, along with four Petite Sirahs from California. There were seven host sites throughout the county.
The Macchia Rebellious Petite Sirah from Lodi, CA was the overwhelming favorite, placing First at four sites, Second at two, and Third at the final site. Second place was Bellante’s Watch Hill Vineyard Syrah from Santa Barbara County. Third was Chronic Cellars Suite Petite Petite Sirah from Paso Robles, Ca.
The four favorite wines across the seven host sites:
In addition, attendees brought a delicious dish to share and then voted on a Chef of the Evening. The results of the Chef of the Evening at each host site are:
- Hosts Tina & B.J. Fornadley: Tina Fornadley – Asian Style Pulled Pork
- Hosts Julie Good: Julie Good – Ribs
- Hosts Pam & Bill Oneida: Alice Polser – BBQ Beans
- Hosts Greg & Cathy Risling: Elee & Don Phillips – Pork Loin with Red Wine and Plum Sauce (with Poached Plums)
- Hosts Pat & Frank Solis: Jim Burk – Boeuf Bourguignon
- Hosts Beverly Genis & Bob Topham: Barbara Greenfield – Pork Loin
- Hosts Barb & Dave White: Kim & Sam Clark – Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pecan Pudding with Whisky Sauce
The detail scores by site will be posted on the OCWS website. Congratulations to all the winners! A big Thank You to the Hosts! Please send your recipes to George Cravens at George@ocws.org for possible publications the website.
– George Cravens, Director