OCWS Wine Auction Great Wines For a Better Cause
Many of us look forward to the OCWS Wine Auction each year. It is a time to see friends, share some great wine and food and fill our personal cellars with California wines at unbeatable prices.
While you might think the wine auction is held just to empty out the OCWS cellar in preparation for this year’s wine competition, it is our second most important fundraiser of the year, just behind the Wine Courtyard during the OC Fair. As a reminder, the OCWS is a non-profit 501c(3) organization with a mission to support wine education. We do this through our programming at the OC Fair (wine tasting, seminars, featured wineries); winery programs during the spring; and WineCompetition.com, which features all of the winners from the OC Fair Commercial Wine Competition.
But by far our biggest support of wine education is the OCWS Scholarship Fund, which this year surpassed the $750,000 mark in donations to eight California colleges and universities with wine and culinary arts-related programs.
For those who have never attended the event, here is what to expect:
- Over 1,000 silent auction lots placed in order on tables that span the event venue.
- Over 100 verbal auction lots auctioned off randomly by our professional auctioneer.
- Lots consist of four bottles of quality California wine curated by our own cellarmaster and his team who have spent weeks putting together the lots.
- Printed and electronic catalogue of the auction lots available for attendees a few weeks before the event.
- Mystery lots of wine available at crazy low prices and can be ordered at the beginning of the event, guaranteeing you will go home with something.
- Food and wine served throughout the event in several courses (appetizers, entrees and desserts).
- Doors open at 11 a.m. and bidding starts immediately.
- Silent auction lots picked up randomly throughout the event until 4:30 p.m.
- Checkout process begins shortly after 5 p.m. and concludes when all wines have been paid for and picked up. No early checkout is available under any circumstances. Please plan to stay until 6 p.m.
So whether you are looking to fill your wine cellar with some great deals on California wines, enjoying time with friends or great wine and food, or you want to support the wine industry by contributing to the OCWS Scholarship Fund, the OCWS Wine Auction has you covered.
The OCWS has been pairing wine education and fun for decades and this event is no exception. At only $20 per person for wine, food and a chance to get some great deals on wine, the wine auction is a bargain.
You can get even more involved by contributing your time as a volunteer during part of the event.
Please join us on Saturday, April 22, at the OC Fair and Event Center for our annual auction (a members-only event). Thank you in advance for your support of the OCWS and our mission to promote wine education.
Carolyn Christian – Event Chair