Mini-Tasting: Big Reds Recap
On Saturday, November 23, over 102 members and guests attended the November Big Reds Mini-Tasting at seven host sites.
The blind tasting included five flights of two wines each. The flights covered Proprietary Reds, Petite Sirah, Syrah, Zinfandel, and Cabernet Sauvignon. Six of the ten wines finished in the top three at one or more sites. The three favorite wines are listed below:
- 1st Place: 2015 Mount Peak Zinfandel Rattlesnake Vineyard, Sonoma—three first, one second, and two third place finishes—$39.95
- 2nd Place: NV Locations CA-7 Red Blends—two first, one second, and three third place finishes—$17.95
- 3rd Place: 2016 Jaffurs Petite Sirah, Santa Barbara County—two first and two second place finishes—$31.99
In addition, attendees brought a delicious dish to share and then voted on a Chef of the Evening. The results of the Chef of the Evening at each host site are:
- Hosts Chris & Hank Bruce: Mary Mulcahey “Brownies”
- Host Virginia & Karl Kawai: Dino Amico “Chicken Scarpariello with Pickled Peppers”
- Hosts Judy & Bob Koeblitz: June & Vince Porto “BBQ Pepper Flank Steak”
- Hosts Greg & Cathy Risling: Laurie Preus “Thai Pumpkin Soup”
- Hosts John & Denise Scandura: Rich Skoczylas “Peach Bread Pudding with Amaretto Sauce”
- Hosts Shelly & Ed Trainor: Mary Giedzinski “Zinfandel Braised Short Ribs”
- Hosts Dave & Barbara White: Barbara White “Short Rib & Mushroom Lasagna”
Congratulations to all the winners! A big thank you to the hosts!
– George Cravens, Director